Saturday, July 5, 2008

The PRObus Athlete Launches

I first imagined this site when I watched Charles Barkley's Nike commercial on what he was and wasn't paid to do. The message: athletes are not paid to be role models for children, that is the responsibility of their parents. I agree whole heartily with Charles Barkley, but it was harder and harder for me to fully accept this message every time I flipped through a newspaper, turned on sports radio, or watched Sportscenter.

What was being covered was behavioral mishaps, game analysis, and scores during the breaks. Rarely would a good story make any airtime or ink space. The media instead covered domestic abuse, DUI's, greediness, and the like. If you are not the most dedicated sports fan, all you know of is the "bad boy" image of athletes. Charles Barkley's message is right on, but what if you don't have anyone to look up to except for professional athletes?

I want to be able to at least shed some light on some of the good that athletes accomplish. It shouldn't take anyone effort to find these stories but in today's climate, it does.

I aim to be a source for the positive in this negative sports media. I understand that tragedy sells but that does not mean there isn't room for the opposite. Enjoy!

No comments: